Meet Our Newest Addition!
Ranchview student services are thrilled to welcome a new addition to the counseling team. Tracey McLeod is the new counselor for students with last names L-Z. She is coming to us from the San Antonio area where she spent the past two years as high school counselor for Northside ISD. Ms. McLeod earned her Bachelor’s degree at University of North Texas and her Masters’ degree at University of Texas at San Antonio. She enjoys watching football, trying new restaurants and spending time with her chiweenie dog Coco! Stop by soon and help us welcome Mrs. McLeod to Ranchview!
Upcoming EVENTS at Ranchview…
9/15 – Homecoming Hallway Decorations 4:00-7:30pm
9/16- Homecoming parade, pep rally and game
9/17 -Homecoming dance 7:00-10:30pm
9/21– Freshman Parent Night 6:30-7:30pm
9/22– Deadline to enroll in SAT Boot camp
9/29– SAT Boot Camp
Incorporating the following in your school routine will help insure your success.
- Use a student planner or assignment notebook
- Get everything organized for the next day before you go to bed
Manage Your Time Well
- Use any extra time at school to start your homework
- Have a consistent study plan and daily routine
- Break large assignments into smaller parts
Be successful in the classroom
- Learn each teacher’s class procedures
- Be in class every day on time
- Have everything you need when you go to class
- Do your homework
- Participate in class
- Attend tutorials with specific questions
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
Take Good Notes
- Be an active listener.
- Take notes
- Use an outline
Know How to Read a Textbook
- SCAN the assignment to get an overview
- READ the assignment
- REVIEW and SUMMARIZE what you’ve read
- Have a designated area for homework and studying
- Organize your time before you begin
- Use tricks to help you memorize large amounts of info
Use Test-Taking Strategies
- Have everything you need for the test
- Before you begin, look over the test and make a plan
- Mark questions you may need to return to
- Check your answers
- Use all the time allowed
SAT & ACT TEST DATES FOR 2016-2017
2016–2017 Test Dates
|Test||U.S. Registration Deadlines*|
Late (free required)
September 10, 2016
|ACT||August 5, 2016||August 19, 2016|
October 1, 2016
|SAT||September 1, 2016||September 20, 2016|
October 22, 2016
|ACT||September 16, 2016||September 30, 2016|
November 5, 2016
|SAT||October 7, 2016||October 25, 2016|
December 3, 2016
|SAT||November 3, 2016||November 22, 2016|
December 10, 2016
|ACT||November 4, 2016||November 18, 2016|
January 21, 2017
|SAT||December 21, 2016||
January 10, 2017
|February 11, 2017||ACT||January 13, 2017||
January 20, 2017
|March 11, 2017||SAT||February 10, 2017||
February 28, 2017
|April 8, 2017||ACT||March 3, 2017||
March 1, 2017
|May 6, 2017||SAT||April 7, 2017||
April 25, 2017
|June 3, 2017||SAT||May 9, 2017||
May 24, 2017
|June 10, 2017||ACT||May 5, 2017||
|Check with Guidance Office and College Board / ACT Web Sites to Confirm Dates and Registration Procedures.|
FROM THE OFFICE OF THE PRINCIPAL:
The SAT has become such an important component to college acceptance and scholarship dollars that it is now MANDATED in over 15 states…and this trend is growing!
Ranchview HS has responded by hosting an intensive, school-day Boot Camp offered by Test Prep Seminars, a leader in college readiness and test preparation.
Thursday, September 29th — 9:00 am to 3:00 pm
Ranchview HS E 1516 Rally Room
This is a $350.00 program that Ranchview HS is very proud to offer for only $60.00
Do not miss this opportunity!
Please bring pens, #2 pencils, a highlighter, and a calculator!
2 ways to register:
- Visit testprepseminars.org, click on register, enter your school code “ranchview”, and pay securely online. There is a minimal service fee applied by PayPal.
- Complete the registration form (found in the Counselor’s Office) and include cash or check for $60 made payable to Test Prep Seminars, and bring the form to Ms. Wynter Nash, Lead Counselor by September 22nd.
To learn more, visit www.testprepseminars.org or contact Ms. Wynter Nash, Lead Counselor at 972-968-5034.